How many of your clients have kids and bring them along to look at houses? Whether they choose to bring the kids along because they don’t have someone to watch them or just want the kids to participate because it will be their home too, the kids will need to have something to occupy them while you look at houses. True, they will look some but they won’t take the same amount of time to look and the parents need to feel relaxed to look at houses and make the best decision for their family.
That means you need some simple (and easily transportable) activities to occupy the kids while you are looking at houses. Some parents may come prepared and that’s great if they do but don’t let the unprepared ones waste their time and yours juggling kids and house shopping. Take an afternoon and put together a bag of activities the kids can do in the car or while waiting and you will be ready for your next day of showings.
Here are some items you could include.
- Coloring Kits
- Washable Markers or colored pencils. Stay away from crayons as they will quickly break or may melt if you leave them in your car on a warm day. If you choose colored pencils, make sure to purchase a small pencil sharpener that will collect the pencil shavings to go along with them. Then remind yourself to check the pencils after each use and sharpen them so they are ready for next time.
- Puzzle books like word searches or other simple activities. Think age appropriate.
- Cards or card games
- Comic books or other small books
- Reusable sticker pads. Melissa & Doug make some great choices. These will allow you to use the same activity pad with multiple kids and prevent you from having to worry about the kids sticking stickers somewhere they shouldn’t.
- Clipboards will make it easier for kids to do some activities so pick up a few clipboards to keep in your bag. You can pick these up at the Dollar Tree – They also come in smaller sizes.
- Click here to print some house score cards for the kids to mark what they like best about each house you look at. It will make them feel like they are an important part of the process.
- If you regularly show houses to families with children, consider investing in an iPad mini or another similar tablet and stocking it with games and other activities that might engage them on extra-long showing days.
- Make sure to have head phones so they can just plug and play.
Putting this bag together ahead of time and keeping it stocked for regular use and last minute appointments will make it much easier for you. When you know you have a long day of showing ahead of you with families with children, purchase some easy snacks to have on hand and add a cooler of bottled water to your car. All of these things will help set you apart from other agents and remind your clients how much you care. Being a real estate agent is about so much more than selling homes. It is about building relationships and those relationships should involve the whole family.
Also consider having a car kit for emergencies items such as:
Diapers – maybe collect a couple from friends so you have a variety.
Wet Cloth in a baggie
Ice Baggies – 2-3 in case someone gets car sick
Kids Band-aids – boys and girls
Ice chest with ice so you can keep things cools on those hot days
The more prepared you are the more you will get accomplished on that day out with clients.
Ready and motivated to organize your life? The 90 Day Real Estate Planner is a must for any agent, broker, team leader to implement into their daily lives as it will help you become more productive, find more time and be better organized. Get it today by visiting the 90 Day Real Estate Action Planner – use the COUPON CODE: PLAN18 to get your discount. This special code is for a limited time only, so take advantage of this discount today and get excited about your life becoming more organized and structured.
Are you realizing you need to tighten up your business strategies? Here at Kim Hughes & Company we are the experts when it comes to working real estate agents with start-ups, re-organizing, marketing, transaction management and so much more. Visit us at Kim Hughes and Company to download our free Real Estate Checklist. We will show you how to become a powerhouse agent so schedule a 20 minute complimentary call with Kim today and let’s get you organized and create some amazing strategies for your business.
Are we connected?
Instagram: @KimHughesCoaching | #KimHughesCoaching